At Disability Network/Lakeshore, we receive many questions each day from people with disabilities.  Below are some of the common questions.  If one of your questions is not answered, please feel free to call our office at (616) 396-5326 or e-mail us.

Q: I have a disability and need housing. Is there anything out there for me?

A: There are housing options available for people with disabilities. However, each housing situation is unique, and it would be best if you called DN/L to talk to the I & R Specialist. 

Q: I would like to buy a home and I have a disability. Is there any assistance available?

A: Yes! The Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) offers a Down Payment Assistance Program providing up to $12,000 non-amorizing, zero interest loan. More information here. Also, Community Action Agency and the City of Grand Haven offer home buyer classes that assist individuals who are considering home ownership.

Q: Do you help people complete forms?

A: Yes, we do assist individuals to complete a variety of forms. We can assist with completing paper forms, navigating the computer to complete online forms, and also can review the forms to help you understand what they are about. 

Q: Will going back to work affect my SSI or SSDI benefits?

A: Yes, your benefits can be affected depending on the type you receive and how much you are earning per month in your job. Our Disability Guide staff member can assist you with your specific situation.

Q: My home needs repairs. Do you provide that assistance?

A: No, we do not provide this assistance here at DN/L, but can provide you with area agencies that offer this assistance for people with disabilities.

Q: I need counseling but don’t have insurance.  What do I do?

A: There are counseling centers that provide this service at no cost or on a sliding fee scale. Please call our office for this information. Also, the Ottawa Community Mental Health Connection Center (616) 494-5545 and Allegan Community Mental Health Consumer Services Department (269) 673-0202 may also have information on obtaining counseling in your area.

Q: My child with a disability is graduating high school, what should we do next?

A: There are several factors to consider when your child is transitioning into adulthood. We are available to answer questions such as independent living, employment, social activities, volunteering, and more. Please call our office and ask to speak to our I & R Specialist. Also, the ARC of Ottawa County provides support to individuals and their parents on this topic as well. You can visit their website here.

Q: Can you help me find a job?

A: We can support you in your job search in areas including resume development, interviewing, applying for jobs on-line or determining a vocational goal. We also work with Michigan Rehabilitation Services (MRS), a governmental organization that assists individuals with disabilities to find competitive employment.

Q: I am in need of a manual wheelchair and it is not covered by my insurance. Can you help?

A: DN/L has a loan closet with durable medical supplies such as wheelchairs. Please call our office to check our inventory for the item you are interested. We also can provide information on the Assistive Technology Loan Fund in the event you choose to purchase a wheelchair. This is a loan used to purchase the item needed that aids in your independence. We have also seen wheelchairs for sale on and